Welcome to the Golden Gate Triathlon Club's highly successful Ironman training program. The program continues to be coached by Trifiniti Endurance Performance Coaches, Duane (Coach D) and Dorette (Coach D2) Franks. Whether your goal is to simply finish your first IM, set a personal record or qualify for Kona, Trifiniti and the support of this training group will help you every step along the way. Training for and completing an Ironman event is an experience of a lifetime. Don’t miss this opportunity to be part of it.
*REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN*
The Ironman training program is designed for athletes who have completed at least one Half IM distance event in the past 2 years. The program will be limited in space. The 6-month training regimen begins in late March and culminates in September at Ironman Lake Tahoe. This program can be adapted for other fall races. Contact the coaches to determine if your race could work.
As a participant in this program you will receive a 24-week periodized training program (split up into two 12-week segments) and will utilize an account with Training Peaks (TP). Training Peaks is a powerful software tool that allows participants to track their training on a day-to-day basis and allows your coaches the ability to keep track of participant progress and workout notes.
The program cost will be $250 for each 12 week session. You must be a member of GGTC to participate. Non-GGTC members will also pay for a year of membership at $75, which gives you access to all of the member benefits.
Training Program Highlights:
- A professionally developed 24-week full Ironman training regimen (in two 12-week segments).
- A periodized triathlon-specific strength-training program.
- Individual consultations with coach.
- Recommendations and guidelines for training prior to April.
- Training Peaks [basic] account to receive and track training.
- Participation in GGTC forum limited to program participants, BOD members and your coaches; as well as a Google group with access limited solely to program participants and Trifiniti Endurance.
- One professionally coached group workout every other week.
- Baseline assessments to determine individual training zones.
- Four workshops and seminars on a variety of specific IM topics such as, altitude racing, training and race day nutrition, hydration, strength training.
- Ongoing access to the coaches.
- Discounts on other Trifiniti Coaching services such as Power based cycling classes, nutritional coaching, run and swim video analysis, and individual skills coaching. Contact the coaches for details on additional services.
- Individual coaching options are also available for those looking for a more customized plan.
The 24-week program officially begins late March, 2013.
Interested in getting a Marathon in first?
If you are interested in establishing a strong run base, increasing your confidence, and increasing injury prevention, consider training with Coach Dorette for the Napa Valley Marathon in March 2013. If you are interested, contact the coaches.
Who is this for? This program is intended for our intermediate to advanced experienced athletes, meaning you've raced at least one Half IM distance event in the past 2 years. This program is not for the beginning triathlete, The GGTC has several other successful programs such as Tri & Give and HIT for those training for their first short distance and half IM events. As a participant, you're in good condition and will be carrying a base level of fitness into this program. GGTC-members only please.
When will I be working out? Training schedules will be provided 6-weeks at a time at least one week in advance. As a participant, you'll be able to log in to Training Peaks and view your workout schedule. There will be one (1) group workout every other week of the program. More than 90% of these will be held on the weekend with others, a few mid week evenings. In addition to the coached workout, a scheduled non-coached group workout will also be planned for every weekend (sometimes both days) by participants and posted to the IMLT discussion forum.
Where will I be training? Training Peaks is an internet-based tool, meaning anywhere you can find internet access, you can train! Weekend group workouts will be held here in the Bay Area. Athletes living outside the Bay Area have successfully used this training plan as well. Contact the coaches to discuss this possibility if you live outside the Bay Area.
Will group training
be offered in Lake Tahoe? Absolutely! A coached group-training weekend at Lake
Tahoe will be scheduled during the summer. This training will provide you the
opportunity understand the physiological adaptations of training in altitude,
dialing in your training and race nutrition, and to preview the Ironman Lake
Tahoe race course.
What happens if I can't make it to all the workouts? As an experienced athlete, you are expected to complete the individual coached workouts on your own or with fellow teammates. Your training calendar will be posted to Training Peaks so you'll be given plenty of opportunity to plan ahead!
Are group workouts still held if it's raining? Yes workouts are held rain or shine.
Dates to know: Orientation Meetings with Trifiniti:
November 11, 2012
IMLT Program Kick-off Workout:
March 31, 2013
Here’s How to Register:
Registration for the IMLT Training Program is now open. Click on the link below to pay for the first 12 weeks. You will be added to the GGTC IMLT forum where your workouts will be posted. Sign up NOW and hold your space in the group!
If you have any questions please contact our GGTC Membership Director, Brian.
*REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN*